Ancient Egypt Religion Facts
- The ancient people of Egypt followed many different Gods like Seth, Isis, Anubis, Nu, Re and Osiris.
- Some people supported Gods to follow their profession like Thoth the god of scribes
- Local villages often chose to be represented by one God
- In local villages an important part of their beliefs and practices was to follow one God only
- The people in villages would worship at shrines that were erected in the village
- Gods were often represented by animals such as lions, cats, rams and crocodiles
- The ancient Egyptian religion contained roughly 2000 gods
- Osiris the god of the underworld was one of the most worshiped
- Some other highly worshiped God’s include Isis the goddess of motherhood and abundance; Horus, god of the sky
- The Pharaoh was believe to be part man and part god and had good relationships with the gods
- The Pharaoh was believed to be the go-between Egyptian humans and the gods
- When the Pharaoh died Egyptians believed he would become a god
- Egyptian society also believed if the nation was in turmoil it was the Pharaoh’s fault for upsetting the gods.
- Other beliefs and practices that the ancient Egyptians believed in was the afterlife
- They had many different rituals which included mummification
- They wanted to preserve the body for as long as possible after death to allow the spirit to have a place to reside
- The body was wrapped in cloth and would also contain jewels and amulets
- A mask was also placed on their face bearing their likeness
- In the tomb of the deceased they would also place drink, food and riches
Today we are looking at the different types of rocks. Go through the PowerPoint and then have a go at the activity below.
Click on the link below to access a range of different types of rocks. Can you sort out which ones are natural and man made in the table below?