Learning Objective: To write effectively for a range of purposes and audiences, selecting language that shows good awareness of the reader (Letter)
This week is BIG WRITE week.
Time to combine all the learning you have done over the last 3 weeks and write your letter to Stanley's mum.
What has happened so far in the story HOLES...
1. You are Stanley and have spent your first few days at camp.
2. You have met Mr Sir and Mr Pendanski.
3. You have met the other boys in camp.
4. You have started digging holes.
5. You have finished your first hole.
Things to think about...
1. What is camp like? What does it look like?
2. How is Stanley feeling at each moment in the story so far?
3. What else is he going to tell mum about? food, clothing, washing facilities, water etc.
4. What does he think about the other boys? What are they like?
Which writing features are you going to include in your letter?
- fronted adverbials
- expanded noun phrases (adjectives to describe a noun)
- contracted words
- relative clauses
- chatty / informal language
- appropriate greeting (Dear Mum)
Use these word mats to help you to enhance your vocabulary
Learning Objective: To write effectively for a range of purposes and audiences, selecting language that shows good awareness of the reader (Editing)
- Use secretarial editing to improve a piece of writing
Once you have finished your letter, have a go at editing it.
What to look for when editing...
Look at this text...
After reading the extract, check for the following aspects and underline them:
Punctuation — this may refer to missing or inaccurate punctuation.
Spelling —look for inaccurate spelling and apply spelling patterns to correct these.
Format and presentation — each genre of writing is written in a particular format.
Check that the text is written in the correct format.
Now rewrite the text with the corrections you have made.
This week we are looking at identifying the subject and object of a sentence.
Use the power point and the video to hep you.
Then have a go at the worksheets below.
Week 3 spellings: