Mathematics: Numbers, Space, Shape & Measure
In nursery we provide mathematical opportunities through a rich, stimulating environment both indoors and outdoors.
We have many areas that provide mathematical learning;
- Loose parts
- Investigation (natural objects)
Every element of mathematical learning is covered in these areas; counting, problem solving, estimating, comparing, matching, sorting, shape, size, pattern, quantity and grouping.
Our focus in Nursery
- Recites numbers in order to 10 and above.
- Knows that numbers identify how many objects are in a set.
- Beginning to represent numbers using fingers, marks on paper or pictures.
- Sometimes matches numeral and quantity correctly.
- Compares two groups of objects, saying when they have the same number.
- Separates a group of 3 or 4 objects in different ways, beginning to recognise that the total is still the same.
- Shows an interest in numerals in the environment.
- Realises not only objects, but anything can be counted, including steps, claps or jumps.