Phonics in Early Years
Phonics is taught in nursery through short, fun activities each day of the week.
Phase 1 covers seven aspects of phonics;
- Environmental sounds - stories, walk around the local area, listening to different sounds.
- Instrumental sounds - bag of instruments, add sound effects.
- Body percussion - action songs and rhymes.
- Rhythm and Rhyme - what rhymes with...?
- Alliteration - having fun with names, story characters
- Voice sounds - adding different voices to stories.
- Oral blending and segmenting - robot speech c-a-t and put it together.
Phase 1 focuses on the Prime Areas of Learning in the Early Years Foundation Stage Curriculum;
Physical Development, Communication and Language, Social and Emotional Development to ensure that all children have the best foundation to their future learning. Most of the activities can be done indoors and outdoors. Each day we sing lots of nursery rhymes to develop language and emotional wellbeing.