The Very Hungry Caterpillar' by Eric Carle.
This book is one of our favourite stories we love to read in nursery. Children can learn so much about the life cycle of a caterpillar, colours, foods, days of the week and numbers.
Hope you enjoy listening to the story. Click on the video below.
After reading and watching the story, encourage your child to answer these questions below.
- What happened to the caterpillar in the story?
- How did he change?
- What different fruit did the caterpillar eat?
- How many plums did he eat? What colour were the plums?
- What is your favourite food? Why?
- Were all the different foods that the caterpillar ate healthy?
- What happened in the story?
- What was your favourite part? Why?
- Role-play the story. Recreate the story in whatever way you like! You can pretend to be the caterpillar -what could you use for a cocoon? You could draw/paint the caterpillar and butterfly (you could stick these onto lollypop sticks to make them into puppets!)
Ask your child to draw a picture of how the caterpillar changed in the story. Ask them about the initial sounds in the words leaf, egg, caterpillar/Cocoon or write the words for them to copy.
Send in your pictures to Evidence Me or to our nursery website. We would love to see them and put them on to our website for others to see.