This week we are going to be looking at different types of poetry and having a go at writing your own.
LO: to show awareness of the writers’ craft by commenting on use of language, grammatical features and structure of texts.
- Make predictions about the meaning of a poem.
- Use language to infer meaning.
Read the poem.
Look for words in each verse of the poem that you can identify as key words.
Find definitions using a dictionary.
Use the key words to make a prediction about what you think each verse is about.
LO: to learn a range of poetry.
- Read a poem aloud.
- Add appropriate actions to a poem.
Read the poem and have a go at putting actions to the poem using the style of Michael Rosen
LO: to identify and explain how writers use grammatical features for effect.
- Identify features of a poem.
- Explain how features are used and how these are effective.
Lesson 4 - spellings
LO: select vocabulary and grammatical structures that reflect what the writing requires, doing this mostly appropriately
- Choose appropriate vocabulary suitable for the text type.
- Consider vocabulary and its impact on the reader.
Task 1: sort the nouns into abstract nouns and common nouns.
Have a go at writing your own sentences using abstract and common nouns from the list.
Make them as creative as you can!