Science at Woodside Academy
Science at Woodside Academy stimulates and excites children’s curiosity about the world they live in and fosters in the children a respect for the environment. The teaching of science; encourages children to be curious and to ask questions about what they observe; help them to develop enquiring minds; broaden their scientific view of the world and enable them to gain a deeper understanding of scientific ideas.
The Science Curriculum aims to:
- Provide opportunities for children to learn through first hand practical experience
- Encourage and maintain curiosity
- Develop logical thinking and investigation skills
- Equip children with skills needed to work scientifically
- Develop questioning skills
- Enable children to make sense of their world in a practical way
- Build and secure scientific knowledge and develop understanding
- Deepen children’s understanding and knowledge through educational visits and trips
- Foster attitudes of co-operation, originality, self-discipline, self-criticism, sensitivity, respect for evidence, independence, open-mindedness, perseverance and responsibility
At Woodside Academy we promote a science rich vocabulary and follow the science programme of study in the National Curriculum.
Year 5 (Hedgehog) visited Solenis this year and learnt about the role of a Scientist. Visit Year 5 page below to learn more about the Solenis trip.
Take a look at our educational visits and trips and find out more about what we have been learning.