Hello and welcome to Year Six. In Year Six we have the highest of expectations: our motto is ‘We are the best of the best of the very, very best!’ We are proud of our team and we work hard together to follow the school’s values of respect, resilience and high expectations.
Our class teacher in Owl is Ms Aslam. Our class teacher in Kingfisher class is Mr Rothery. We are also very lucky to be supported by Mrs Kent and Miss McCarthy.
Children in Year Six build on their learning from KS1 and KS2. It is at this stage of their school journey that they bring together all that they have been taught and showcase their knowledge.
In Year Six, the subjects we teach are:
- PE (WEDNESDAYS) and Kickboxing (THURSDAYS)
- History / Geography (alternated half-termly)
- Art / DT (alternated half-termly)
We have specialist teachers, who are experts in their subjects, for the following lessons: PE, Spanish and Music. Mr McNulty, Miss Priestley and Mrs Backhouse teach in Year Six every week.
At Woodside Academy we firmly believe that broadening the experience of our children is vital for enhancing their learning!
Over the course of the year we like to go on as many trips as we can, to places we may not have been before. In the Summer Term, we are lucky enough to be able to go on a residential visit, where we stay away from home for a day or two. This is such a valuable experience for us as it helps us to develop our resilience and independence: two skills which we will need for high school and beyond.
Below is an outline of the experiences we have planned for this year:
Local area walk.
We are passionate about teaching reading skills which opens opportunities for children to achieve well in all areas of the curriculum. Each child has a reading book which is matched with their current phonic stage. This can be enjoyed as a family at any time of the day. In reading lessons, we teach from a variety of engaging texts, using the reading content domains as question types:
In class, we have daily just listen time. Below are the stories that Year Six enjoy during just listen time.
Contacting the teachers:
We appreciate your support with your child's learning. If you have any questions, please email:
We will respond to your message within five working days.
- We have PE every Wednesday. Please ensure your child has a kit in school, including pumps and that long hair is tied back.
- Reading books should be taken home daily, along with the yellow reading card for parents/carers to sign alongside the child once they have read.
- We send homework routinely every Friday. At the end of each half-term, we also send a homework pack to keep the children entertained over the holidays; the children get a treat for completing this!
If you need any support with reading or homework, please let the teacher know.